RADM Superintendent : Yuan Chih-Chung
The Chinese nationalities have always had a long ocean culture. You can find the remains of ocean activities from ancient times. It has gone through many developments and innovations throughout each century, and it had finally reached a peak during the Ming dynasty. In the 3rd year of Emperor Yungle in Ming Dynasty(1405), Jheng He had led the navy’s enormous fleet sailing on the south east Asia waters with technology more superior than Europe and with a majestic appearance. He had also led the fleet's travels between the South China Sea and Indian Ocean 7 times. During these travels, he had even reached the East African coastline. During his lifetime, he had visited more than 30 countries, and his magnificent voyage was done 100 years before Christopher Columbus set out to sea with his Spanish fleet. Also, his voyage was done 80 years prior to the traveler V, da Gama, who led the Spanish fleet in discovering The Cape of Good Hope and the passage to the Indian Ocean. What he had achieved was never been reached by anyone else in history, and he had created an evolution from experiences with his adventures, courage of facing the unknown, and the spirit of conquering nature. This should cause us to make in-dept thoughts and keep in mind why we are unable to maintain our superiority on the sea and how have our own people destroyed the powerful navy we had once owned.
Our academy was established in Shanghai over 60 years ago since 1946 after World War II. We have successfully carried on the responsibilities on education, and we have also produced the good fruits out of our students. We have truly raised the first class talented people for protecting the rights of our seas and frontiers, and also strengthened our defenses to construct a first class navy. We have contributed a splendid result in academic studies and combat training. We have also won praises and affirmative world-wide. The result is gained not only from the work of past principles, faculties and students in the academy, but it is also the result of their sacrifices. However, we are living in the 21st century, which is a time where the center of economy has shifted from the Atlantic to the Pacific countries. As our overall economical power is increase, our strategical position is changed also. Further, the economical prosperity and the national security in the future will be closely related to the “Thalassocracy.” Thus, the Pacific era is guided by the development of Thalassocracy to become the new age of Thalassocracy. It also means that the entire people will be heading towards the new century of the ocean. Therefore, in order to protect the safety of our country and effectively control the Integration strength of the ocean as well as keeping superior navy forces, we must build up the navy and increase overall strength to become the best shield for maintaining Thalassocracy, which is the path we should head towards in mutual acknowledgement.
However, as we have known, besides the meaning of controling the ocean, Thalassocracy also includes the usage of ocean, which is an integration of oceanic industry, ocean transportation, ocean trade, the hardware construction of ocean technologies and ocean policies, ocean management, sea laws and related software development to combine with the military for becoming a united power. Although we are breeding the talented people who are able to control the ocean, we also facing for the challenges in this new century on the subject of satisfying the pulsation and needs in the society from our educational studies. It is a very important issue because there are many colleges and universities in our society. It's also important to figure out how to promote superior competition abilities and how the chain of command will affect our forces after when we switch to implementing the mercenary system. This should be fully planned and different plans with foresightedness, diverseness and sustainable development should be developed for providing for rainy days. It is more important for the planning of sustainable development, which includes the developmental goals, personnel training, and assets of utilization. That is why there are many century old companies and schools in U.S or Europe. Although the time and environment is different, from history, Jheng He’s ocean trading business somehow didn’t adhere to this principle, resulting in a sad end, and should be always kept in mind and used as a reference in the future. The past year, because the faculties, students, officers in all levels, cadre, and colleagues have united together and worked as hard as they can to create an honorable record and good name. Now it is a new school year, as we raise our eyes and watch the development of our nation, the direction of the expansion of our navy, and the changing of our environment, we will write the “97–106 R.O.C Naval academy School affairs Development Planning document,” which will become the guidance for the development of our school affairs. The following shows the main points of the plan:
1. Advance military officers’ full-range education, promotes the professional skill education for the noncommissioned officers Our faculties are all dedicated in their teachings, our equipment is new and up-to-date, and we have a well-equiped living facilities that will help us to cultivate good quality professional military and noncommissioned officers. The main point of developing and educating the future officers is set on the promotion of the students’ core values, the completion of professional skills, sharpening the intelligence of leaders, training for a stronger body, Navy loyalty and patriotic military discipline, and the deepening of an anchored spirit. Moreover, the main points of the education of the officers lie on the cultivation of professional skills and the advancing of leadership intelligence, so we can provide facilitation to the students in obtaining the certificates that are related to their work. Then, at the same time, we are upgrading the officers’ education, so they are able to be competent and happy in their work. We are hoping to turn them into the backbone of the navy.
2. Promote the quality and quantity of character education, setting a good primary quality for the officers For many years, the students’ character education has been the main point of focus. Currently we have installed the “character education implementation plan.” It integrates the resources and people from the student corps, general education center, and the office of student affairs in deepening the students’ character education as a team. It will be done through class discussions, seminars given by professional speakers, home visits (cultivation project), essays, academic research meetings (“character education and military professional ethic”) so as to create related atmospheres in the school (such as the printing of “school touring manuals”), and use school voluntary service to replace punishment, and diversified recessive education. We will continue to improve our methods in order to increase the outcome of promoting character education.
3. Build up a strong body, and strengthen the students’ will in facing dangers and resistance The military is holding an important responsibility in protecting the people, and therefore building a strong body has become a soldier’s basic duty. Because a military officer is a role model for the soldiers, therefore all the training plans in the school are focusing in active training for the students’ bodies. Each month there will be a physical examination, and the students who have passed the test will help the failing students to reach the standard. Through the help and caring from the fellow classmates, the students will be able to increase their body strength. We require all of the students to pass the goal before the end of grade 2 in order to prepare for the difficult physical training lying ahead.
4. Improve the schools’ overall education quality based on the Ministry of Education’s evaluation on departments, graduate schools and schools' affairs In order to maintain the education quality in the higher education, the Higher Education Evaluation & Accreditation Council of Taiwan is commissioned by the Ministry of education to take charge of the evaluating of the colleges in a period of 5 years. Military and police academies are also included on the list of evaluation. In order for our school to absorb the experiences from other schools, we have sent people to observe the preparation and experiences for the learning evaluation observation at the National Taiwan Ocean University, Tamkang University, and Tunghai University in December 2007. Then, we have actively been preparing self evaluations and department and graduate school evaluations, and this year we will establish the “evaluation case specializing office” on the first floor of the library with task force methods. It will be mainly responsible for the job of preparation for integrating the school’s units for the evaluation. Then, after the department and graduate school evaluations are ended, we are able to make changes to improve our teaching, studies, services, counseling and administration based on the result of the evaluations.
5. Active in promoting engineering accreditation, promotion department’s international status In order to follow the trend of higher education developments worldwide, the Institute of Engineering Education in Taiwan (IEET) has represented our government to become the formal Signatory in the Washington Accord during the 8th Biennial Meeting of the Washington Accord signatories in June 20, 2007. The diplomas from the schools who are being accredited by the IEET will also be recognized by the member countries in the Washington accord. Therefore, our school has sent the people from the oceanography department to participate in the “Authentication of Engineering and Technology Education ” hosted by the Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan. Then each year we will promote the engineering accreditation from other departments, so our education quality can be connected with the world in order to upgrade our international standard.
6. Lead the teachers studies of professions to the navy related field, to provide professional support for our navy Each faculty from each department has specific research specialties which have provided some degree of contribution in their territory. If we can combine the professors’ direction of study to the field of navy, then we will be able to provide professional opinions to the technology, management, system and reformation in our navy, which can become an intelligence bank for us. Each department has planned for their research directions based on their property and relationship with the navy profession: Department of Marine Science (develop Oceanic acoustics and anti-submarine detection investigation project), Department of Marine Mechanical Engineering (develops power for the ships), Department of Electrical Engineering (develop radar and electric magnetic detection investigation system), Department of Applied Science (constructs navy application science database), Department of Information Management (develops command & control chain), Department of Humanities (studies on people related subject in the navy), Department of Sociology (studies on military sociology related issues in the navy.) If we are able to obtain support from superior units, then we will be able to share our professional research results to the units in the navy.
7. Reinforce the exchange project between the ships with our school to combine the needs of our school with the fleet Since 2006, fleet 124、151 and 192 have been promoting exchanges between the ships and our school, and the faculties from each department will travel with the ships. They will interview the ship officers and the graduate students about their thoughts in the service, and then the faculty will provide written reports after they return to school. The report will become a reference for our school’s reformation and teacher’s advancement. Up to today each professor has boarded at least one ship. Then, besides continuing the second ships-school exchanges in June, we have been promoting the combination of ship-school exchanges with the departments evaluations, so the contents of the interviews will be able to benefit the department's evaluation reports based on the items and topics in the evaluations.
This year I wish to make a new start. I hope we are able to gather the more advanced experiences and wisdom in the future education journey in our school. I hope we will be more active in the scientific education and academic studies, and that we can continue to innovate and grow to make our school become the foundation of breeding new leaders for the navy. Through seeing the world with new vision and with wider prospects, we can complete the vision for our future. The 7 main points that show the future plan for our school are shown above. They are all long-term goals, and they cannot be accomplished in a short period of time. We hope the colleagues in our schools will be holding onto each of our positions and set your heart on it, and you will be working based on the students’ learning needs. I hope we will be able to use the 7 guidelines to improve the teaching, studies, counseling, academic affairs and administration in our school to create a new bright era.